Sunday 11 January 2009

My mate Marmite...................

I totally forgot about my overseas blogging buddies who are unfortunate enough not to have Marmite so I thought I would add this description, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , and a pic.
"Marmite is the name given to two similar food spreads, a British version produced in the UK and South Africa and the other in New Zealand. Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing, and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty and savoury with umami qualities, somewhat comparable to soy sauce. This distinctive taste is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it." It is similar to the Australian Vegemite and Swiss Cenovis. The image on the front of the British jar shows a "marmite", a French term for a large, covered earthenware or metal cooking pot"
What you can do with Marmite?
The most common use is as a spread on toast or in sandwiches. It is also delicious spread on hot buttered crumpets or ryvita crackers.A lot of people have it on buttered toast. .A teaspoon of Marmite can also be added to soups, casseroles, and almost any savory food for a wonderful, rich flavoring. You can also have a spoon full in hot water to make a super meaty drink!
The Marmite love it or hate it war continues.....it's looking pretty close!!!!!

9 comments:

  1. Oooohhh, I LOVE it!!! Hee hee! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. what do you do with it? I'm one of the clueless ones LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love Marmite! Was expecting to see Simon Cowells face on it though (LOL)
    Clairexx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the stuff, delicious on hot buttered toast. Drool, drool!!

    Barbaraxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh why did you do this. Now i've got to go and get some lubberly scrummy toast and marmite.

    We're a marmite loving household (lucifer, herb and him in doors) so stick another 3 votes in your love it pot (you can't have mine I did it yesterday ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have sooo started something here :) Marmite Rules!
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE IT!!! Mmmm nothing nicer than Marmite and Lurpak on crusty granary bread - deeeelish!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuckkkkk!!!! Hate it- give me crunchy peanut butter any day!!
    Teresa xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. well I'm a love it girl. I work night shifts and after my day sleep I absolutely cannot get up without my marmite on toast. (in fact I just had some)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. I may even let you have a choccy from my husbands chocolate factory!!!!! Mrs Wonka x